PROPERTY: IRS,RES,PDS SCHEMES IN MAURITIUS
Property Investment Mauritius
How to buy a home in Mauritius?
Buyers guide: buying a property under the PDS,RES,IRS property development schemes in Mauritius
Acquisition of a Residential Unit in Mauritius. The 3 designed programmes for non-citizens in Mauritius for the acquisition of properties:
- The IRS was the first scheme set up by the Mauritian Government in 2001 in collaboration of the BOI (Board of Investment) of Mauritius.
- The developed land area IRS shall exceed 10 hectars.
- Under the IRS the minimum price of Villas, apartments, penthouses ist set at a minimum price of $ USD 500,000, which entitles the purchaser/investor to a resident permit. The residence permit will remain as valid as long the purchaser mantains the ownership of the property. This residence permit is also valid for the property purchasers family , like spouse and children till the age of 24 years.
- The registration fee for a IRS Scheme is $ USD 70,000.
- The RES was launched in 2007.
- The Project property size of developed land area must be between 4000 m2 and 100 hectars.
- The difference between IRS and RES is that the buyer ist not automatically entitled with the purchase to a Mauritian residence permit. A residence permit is issued to a foreigner during his acquisition of RES over 500.000 USD $.
- If the purchased amount is under 500,000 USD $ the buyer will not be eligible for a permanent residence permit and will just be able to reside in Mauritius up to six months a year.
- The registration duty fee under the RES is USD $ 25,000.
- The Property Development Scheme (PSD) for sale to non-citizens , has replaced the IRS and RES and allows the development of a mix of residence for sale to non-citizens. The developed surface areas are no more restrictions on the maximum land area with this scheme. Another amendement ist that all units can be acquired by foreigners willing to invest in Mauritius.
- A non citizen is eligible for a residence permit upon the purchase of a unit under the PDS Scheme , through an investment of a minimum amount of USD $ 500.000 or its equivalent in any freely convertible foreign currency.
- Under the IRS the minimum purchase price of a villa ist set at USD $ 500,000. It differs with the RES concept ,where there is no minimum investment value, also like the PDS concept.
- A PDS Project must have at least a minimum of 6 Luxury residential properties of high standing.
- The registration fee of the purchase of a residential property under the PDS Scheme is 5%.
- The PDS is also a demarcation from the IRS and the RES in as much as it does not differenciate between small and big landowners and harmonises the registration duty fee to a single rate of 5% instead of USD 70.000 in registration of a deed under the IRS and USD 25.000 under the RES.
- Moreover, the projects developed under IRS and RES continue to develop under the respective names.As for new projects launched since the implementation of the PDS they are considered as PDS Projects.
Discover all the IRS Projects, RES Projects and the PDS Projects on the Real Estate Market on Mauritius island
When purchasing a property persons or often companies aquire ownership.
The island of Mauritius has a favourable taxation environment with 15% Corporate and individual tax rate. Double taxation agreements.
So far Mauritius has concluded 43 tax treaties ; there of also with France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Sweden, United Kingdom, South Africa etc..
No capital gains and no Inheritance Tax on purchased properties. (Tax implications on property are subject to change according the changes in Mauritian laws presented by the Mauritius Revenue Authorities.)
The Purchase of Apartments in condominium developments for foreigners (non-citizens) on Mauritius :
The Non-Citizens (Property Restriction) Act has been amended on 20 December 2016 to allow foreigners to purchase apartments in condominium developments of at least two levels above ground (G+2) with the prior approval of the Board of Investment.
The amount payable for the acquisition of an apartment must not be less than Rs 6 million or its equivalent in any other freely convertible foreign currency.
Any non-citizen, with or without an occupation permit, residence permit, permanent residence permit, may acquire apartments.
Thus, there is no restriction for non-citizens who wish to acquire:
- a residential unit developed under the IRS, RES and PDS
- a residential unit developed in a smart city
- an apartment located in a building comprising at least two floors above the ground floor.